*** Speaker applications for Ignite Tampa Bay 2020 are now open ***
Ignite Tampa Bay 2020 is scheduled for Thursday, April 16th, at The Palladium in St. Pete.
If you haven’t spoken at Ignite but are thinking of applying this year, here are a few guidelines:
1. Ignite talks are a forum for sharing passion and ideas, not for marketing.
2. The goal is to get people thinking and talking.
3. Mind the format (see guidelines below).
Anyone who has ever given an Ignite talk can tell you that they are tough. The format is weird and challenging. You have 5 minutes. There are 30 seconds between speakers. You have 20 slides that advance automatically, so you MUST keep pace.
4. Prepare something that wonʼt require you to read from notes.
5. Watch past talks from Ignite Tampa Bay. They are all on YouTube
6. Be creative, be edgy, and have fun.
If you still have questions? Feel free to drop us a line, and weʼll be happy to try to help. Please keep in mind, though, that this is an all-volunteer effort, and while we reply as quickly as we can, patience is appreciated.
Most of all, thanks for your interest. Weʼre looking forward to hearing what you have to say!
- One speaker per topic, no teams
- Please provide 20 slides. We will show the slides for 15 seconds before automatically advancing them. (1 title slide + 18 content slides + 1 end slide)
- We do not allow animation, sound, video, or transitions.
- It’s best not to be literal with your slides – imagery will be much more effective than text in this format, so try to have at most a few words per slide (no words = just fine, too).
- Do not include a slide with your name or presentation title; we provide that for you, and this slide doesn’t count towards your 20 slide limit.
- This format is very unique, and you should plan to rehearse extensively, even if you are an experienced speaker.
Speaker selection process & timeline:
- January 29th – application process opens
- February 26th – 1st round of speakers chosen (allow a few days to be notified)
- March 11th – 2nd round of speakers chosen
- March 25th – 3rd and final round of speakers chosen
The selection committee is made up of a cross-section of volunteers from the community. Topics and speakers are chosen for the broad impact of their topic and the speaker’s passion for sharing a story and inspiring positive change in our community.
If you are chosen, only then do you need to submit your slides. Coaching is available for those that need help adjusting their talk to the Ignite format.
Don’t worry if you are not selected in the 1st round, all applicants stay in the pool until the final selection, this way we can provide a good balance of topics for the event.
There will be a walk-through/rehearsal – April 9th in the afternoon from 1:30 – 5:30. Every speaker should attend to get familiar with the venue and so you can run through your talk on the stage.
o You can create your presentation in PowerPoint or Keynote. However, I need you to send me the slides in PowerPoint within 2 weeks of when you are notified or by April 3rd if you are selected in the last round. The template is HERE:
We also need you to sign a speaker video release form before we put your slides into the final event deck. Download the form here:
Thank you! Looking forward to April 16th and another great Ignite Tampa Bay!
Speakers need to be at The Palladium by 5:15 for the pre-event briefing.
Tickets for the show will go on sale at the beginning of May.